Our team here at Marsna Design is made up of small business owners and entrepreneurs. Aside from our web design business, we own and operate a handful of other small businesses in the fashion and music industries. Believe us when we say that we understand first-hand the struggles that come with starting your own business from the ground up!
Nowadays, it’s pretty much indisputable that a website is a crucial need for most business owners. But for many businesses, launching a new website is easier said than done.
In our experience, we have found three common hurdles that go hand-in-hand with launching a new website.
- It’s confusing. What is hosting and how do I get it? HTML, CSS, PHP…what’s that mean? What do I need to know about domain registration and SSL certificates? (We could keep going, but you get the idea).
- It’s complicated. Web design is not easy! You may hear that it’s simple to design your own website, but unless you know what you’re doing, it can be a nightmare. (Check out the infographic below for a humorous but accurate example of what we mean!)
- It’s costly. While we at Marsna Design pride ourselves on keeping our prices affordable, we understand that the cost of a website can be a big chunk of change for a small business.
So what are the solutions to these hurdles? Here’s what we recommend:
- Because launching a website can be confusing and complicated, we recommend hiring a web designer to help you launch your website.
- And because it can be costly, we recommend that you budget and hire a designer once you have saved up enough to do so.
When you’re a business owner, money does not always grow on trees, to say the least. We know that although you may desire a state-of-the art custom-designed website for your business, your budget may need time to work the cost of a website into your finances. For the most part, a good website might take a little time to save up for, but that’s okay!
…did we really just talk about the importance of having your own website and then say that it’s okay if you need to wait awhile to hire a web designer? That’s right, we did!
Here’s why: we have compiled 5 of our favorite ways to “make do” until your business is able to afford a full website. Just because you aren’t ready to launch a full site doesn’t mean that you should ignore your online presence entirely, and we have a few tricks up our sleeves that we would like to share with you.
These tips and tricks will range in cost – some are free, and some will cost you a few dollars. (We are saving the most expensive step for last – we’ll share the free and cheapest tips first!)
Depending on your budget and time constraints, you may choose to do some or all of these things. We think it would be great for your business and website if you did each step, but that is entirely up to you!
Here are our top-5 favorite “How to Start Your Own Website for Cheap or Free” tips, which we will be discussing in detail over the next several weeks:
- Choose Your Domain Name
- Use WordPress
- Blog Regularly
- Try Do-It-Yourself SEO
- Hire a Graphic Designer
Check back again as we spend the next 5 weeks explaining how to put these steps into action!